Oak 2022 - 2023
Welcome to Team Oak!
I cannot believe we're entering our final term together. There are lots of things to look forward to! We have got London coming up in June, along with our Year 5/6 performance and all of our leavers' activities.
Don't forget - our SATs week is 9th - 12th May.
- Monday (outdoor), Wednesday (indoor)
- Indoor kit: shorts, t-shirt, trainers, socks (if tights worn)
- Outdoor kit: navy/black joggers/ leggings, navy/ black jumper – or school jumper, t-shirt, trainers, socks (if tights worn)
- Please ensure children have their kit in school on these days and trainers in school throughout the week for the daily mile and ventures into Nature’s Nook.
- Please bring your Kingsley Journals in each day
- I collect Kingsley Journals in on a Monday
- Please read at least three times a week at home and record this in your Kingsley Journal
- I read with children at least once a fortnight and record this in the class folder
- Reading Bingo will be stuck in Kingsley Journals once a half term - don't forget to complete these as you will get entered into a reading raffle at the end of the half term!
- Each week, we will be writing our weekly spellings in our Kingsley journals. We will not be testing on these spellings, but encourage you to practice them at home as they are linked to our writing in Literacy
- Spelling lessons focus on revising and developing our understanding of spelling rules
- Please practise your times tables on a frequent basis – they really are the underpinning for many of the maths we study!
- Times Tables Rockstars is still our main way of practising
- timestables.co.uk is another fantastic site – particularly for practising focus times tables
- Currently: Maths which is set on Friday, to be returned the following Friday
- Starting: Grammar - set and due the same times as Maths
- Regular reading - at the minimum 3 x a week
- Times tables practice
- Spelling revision
How you can help at home:
- Times tables practise
- Mental calculations – practising adding, subtracting, multiplying and dividing mentally
- Practising multiplying and dividing by 10, 100, 1000 mentally
- Quick fire revision of fraction/ decimal/ percentage equivalences
- Practise measurement conversions – e.g. 1 litre = 1000ml, 1kg = 1000g, 1m = 100cm, 1cm = 10mm etc
- Telling the time – children need to be confident with this in order to access the more complex aspects of the curriculum for time for Y6. Children will be solving worded problems involving 12 and 24 hour, reading timetables, calculating time durations amongst other tricky things!
- Reading – encourage children to read aloud clearly, confidently with expression and intonation. Remind children to follow the punctuation when reading. Ask them questions to establish their understanding
- Spelling rule revision
- Vocabulary – expose your child to tricky and complex vocabulary. Encourage them to use strategies such as reading on in the sentence to try and establish their meaning
Files to Download
Grammar Terminology Y6 Specific Terminology Curriculum overview Y6 Autumn 1 2022.pdf Curriculum overview Y6 Autumn 2 2022.pdf Y6 Geography Autumn 2 - Protecting our environment.pdf Y6 History Knowledge Organiser - WW1 and WW2.pdf Y6 Science Knowledge Organiser - Living Things and their Habitat updated.pdf Y6 Science Knowledge Organiser - Electricity 2022.pdf
Oak: News items
There are no News items to display
Oak: Blog items
There are no blog items to display
Oak: Display work items
There are no Display work items to display
Oak: Events items
Inset Day, by Mrs Greasley
Aspirations Week, by Mrs Greasley
Careers Day, by Mrs Greasley